The national average for a failed drug test is between 4-6%. While some of the excuses are indeed legitimate, more times than not, the excuses while feeble, can be very humorous. Here is a list of some of the excuses we have heard over the years:
- It was the cookies I ate at a party, I think it was medical marijuana.
- I buy hemp oil and make salad dressing with it.
- I take these supplements from the health food store.
- I kissed a girl who had just used cocaine.
- I ate a bunch of poppy seed muffins.
- I thought we were going to do the drug test next week.
- Impossible! I bought some stuff on line that was guaranteed to make me pass the test.
- I used to smoke pot back in the day but I am really fat so I hear it stays in your system for a really long time.
- I thought I would be positive for pot, not meth!
- I got it in Canada and it’s legal there.
- All of my friends were smoking in a small car, it must be second hand smoke.
- I have to light my wife’s joints for her because she uses medical marijuana and she is too sick to do it herself.
- I was at a party and everyone was smoking pot around me.
- I thought it only takes a week to get out of your system.
- Someone must have put something in my drink, I swear I would never use drugs.
- I take my friend’s pain meds when I have a migraine.
While these excuses may be funny, drug use at work is a serious issue. Employees who are under the influence of mind altering substances can cost employers significant amounts of money in accidents, injuries, errors, absenteeism, tardiness, poor performance and more.
The EAP can help.
Rather than listening to an employee’s story about why his or her drug test was positive, refer the employee to us for a comprehensive assessment and return to work plan. Our goal is to help employees keep their jobs, while remaining drug free and to assist employers in maintaining a safe, healthy and productive workplace.